View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Talking Duck Poop and Bunny Slippers

I realized recently that, even with all my recovery in place, I can still return to "Codie Thinking". A codie mind is like no other and this codie is seeing a pattern and I'd like to share. Follow me here, it really does go someplace

Most of you saw my pictures of the mallard ducks that have adopted me, showing up on my deck and looking in my patio door waiting for me to bring them some food.

Right away I thought these ducks were so very cute and how special that they would choose "me" as a friend. Because they were cute and had that "please feed me" look on their face, I dutifully got them some of my bird feed and put it on the lawn for them. The lawn was damp sometimes, with dew, and I worried that they might not see all the food....so I began putting it in little piles on the deck so the ducks could eat it more easily and not miss any....

The ducks pooped on my deck and let me tell you that mallard duck poop is not your little pigeon kinda dropping.

So, I stopped feeding them....for a while. They showed up anyway and were cute and waved through my window at me and they stopped pooping on my deck. Several times they came, and no poop.

So...codie that I am, I trusted that they had learned their lesson and would no longer poop on my deck...and I began to feed them again. For several days, they came, they performed their cuteness and they ate...and left without pooping. "AHA, this codie mind thought, "I have changed these ducks into well-mannered ducks who poop elsewhere now."

Well, of course this only lasted a few days and now they are pooping more than ever and each time I have the choice of cleaning it off or stepping carefully on my deck...I am the official "duck poop cleaner" and I get the mess, even though it is NOT my poop.

So....I am detaching with love. I am no longer feeding the ducks on my deck. I see many many ducks out on the water and know that God has already provided more than enough food for every one of them and that this codie cannot save nor change my ducks.

That said, this morning in the dark I went out to move a chair that had blown over in the night....and YES....this codie's bunny slipper stepped splat on top of fresh duck poop and poor bunny is covered in yuck. The ducks must have come back in the night to leave just one more "token" of their duckiness.

There is a lesson here...many lessons actually. You can't change a duck. You should never do for a duck what God can do better. And if you try and think you can control ducks....all you will do is end up ankle deep in duck poop. Ducks do what ducks do and I am powerless.

Thus endeth the lesson. I thought this might start your day with a smile....which is much better than how my day began.

Hugs