Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

I had to eventually face the fact that I was wanting my husband to change. I wanted him to be someone he was not. First, that was someone who didn't get drunk every night. Then, when he stopped drinking, I wanted him to be dependable and responsible and open with his feelings, and etc. etc. etc. I don't really think you can separate drinking related issues from non-drinking related issues. The issues in you marriage are still there, even after you remove the alcohol. It comes down to how much each person is willing to give and how much each person is willing to accept. In my case, it turned out that we were still incompatible even after 18 years and sobriety. When I began recovering from codependence and he began recovering from alcoholism, we no longer had that much in common. Sad, but true.

I'm not saying it can't work. There are many examples where it has. I'm just saying that the alcoholic/enabler dance was part of the relationship and if you change that you have to replace it with something else. Hopefully, you can replace the unhealthy connection you had with a healthy one. But, the changes are big and both people have to be willing to work at it. It's kind of like starting the relationship all over again.

L