Thread: arghhhh
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for all your replies.
I went there this morning and he was all set to go with his workshop materials in hand. We discussed all the changes that the administration was enforcing- the rules have all been changed and this was verified to me by his counselor last night.

There is no way he could have gone to the workshop if I had not taken him, so I'm not sorry I did it and I got to meet his instructor so all is above board there. Before we got there I shared _some_ of how I was feeling about trust issues and he understood. He took it very well... and we had a nice visit before his class started. He knows we believe in him and support him, but that when things begin to look even a little bit like they did in the past we are going to take notice and protect ourselves.

The rules and regulations have become very rigid. Any visitor and/or driver must have a background check. I cleared but the paperwork was not finalized. No sponsors allowed with a record or even one arrest. No meetings if the resident doesn't have a sponsor. In the past five weeks none of this was going on...it's all due to a change in leadership. The therapists and counselors aren't happy either.

AS has already found errors in the mission statements and codes written by their governing board. I think he will handle things fine and he said he would tell me if he needed my input. Basically there are existing facility rules, PO rules plus the court agreements and they all conflict with each other. These guys need firm and clear rules with consequences laid out ahead of time.

He will just have to make the best of things and these details can be worked out or just accepted as how things need to be while he is there. His probation is over in less than 3 months and he said if it gets bad there he can go back to his old halfway house, but it's more expensive and he needs to pay court costs and rent.

I'm confident that AS is doing what he should and am not too upset at how I reacted to 'the signs' as I think it is better to be open to what could happen versus being in complete denial. Needless to say, I don't want to 'go there' again.

I will avoid taking him places in the future and will know who to check with- every other time I have offered a ride he has said "I'll take care of it, Mom."

It wasn't nice to revisit those old feelings and have to actually face even possible bad news, but I'm so glad to have you all here to share it with.
Thanks again for the support!

hugs,

cmc