View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Knitting Knurse
Oblique Reflections

I'm so glad to see that you're 150% willing to do what it takes to stay clean and I wish more newcomers had that conviction. Having said that...

I don't sponsor myself. My sponsor doesn't sponsor herself. And since HER sponsor recently passed away, we now sponsor each other until she can find someone with more than the amount of time she has (27 years) and with whom she can feel comfortable. We've done that often through the years, with one of us sponsoring another if "the" sponsor was unavailable during difficult times. It's called a family, and it means that none of us who are sponsored by her are ever left without a sponsor.

I just had a conversation with my sponsee on Friday about how she tries to sponsor herself, or will try to direct the way I sponsor her. It's just never a good idea.

Is anybody in NA perfect? Of course not. We are flawed individuals that come complete with our own baggage for the trip. But that doesn't mean that the imperfections equate to a bad choice for a sponsor. I was told to choose someone I didn't like, because obviously none of my choices in life were ever good for me. I did just that, and ended up with the world's best sponsor. (Oh, and I do like her now!)

I would suggest that when you do find a sponsor, that you review the work you've done on your own prior to determining your readiness to move onto Step 4. If we had all the answers in the first place, we wouldn't ever need a sponsor.

RIP Diana H.