Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
collinsmi

Don't know about getting a job, had one for a long time. Guess I'm lucky. Scratch that, I KNOW I'm lucky!

At any rate, I know about relapse. Had a few of them before. Never saw them coming till I was almost on the way to the liquor store. For a dispassionate observer, the signs were there. They were/are: no stepwork, no meetings, no involvement, no sponsor. I thought everything was fine though. Didn't think things were so fine that last first year of sobriety though, everything that mattered seemed to be falling apart! Had a sponsor, don't know whether he was an AA bully or not. I'd see him, tell him about my desparate and seemingly intractable problems, and he'd reply "So what are you doing about the step you're on?". I most assuredly considered him an (SoberRecovery.com unapproved anatomical reference), and sometimes I still think he is, and i'm probably right. But that (SoberRecovery.com unapproved anatomical reference) and his caustic advice and guidance helped saved my life. After a while, everything did work out, or at least so it was more tolerable. I also got some step work done, and more importantly made the "do step work=feel better despite circumstances" connection. Sometimes I don't know what to worry about!

Reminds me of a guy I met not too long ago. No job, no apartment, has a broke down car but no place to stay. Brilliant conversationalist, loves to talk. Dry longer than a week, but short of a month. Friend of mine is/was working with him. "Where is your step work? Done your reading? Where's your big book?" "None, no, at GF's house." Now I'm no swami, but I'd guess this guy has a drink or 2 in his near future. Confusing having so many problems, sometimes one takes solace where one can find it. I'll bet half the people on this board think they know him. If I want what they have, I must do what they do.