View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My graduation--need advice

I will be receiving my Associates Degree (double major thank you ) in May. My father is coming out from the South West. My dad, bless his soul, doesn't come out for anything. Its just his way, bless his soul. He's the type to send 3 handpicked cards, make a call and send an email before he'll drive out. He hates to drive, and this time he's driving two states over to be here. Because of this, I will be sending him an announcement to the graduation early so he has the address and so on. I'll be mailing the picture later.

My mother, the addict in my life, lives a block away from me. She had been harassing me on the phone and I had finally wrote her letting her know I would love to stay in written contact with her. So far, not a letter from her rest home.

I never thought this would happen. My local parent is not getting an invite from me as I don't want her there. She will make it all about her and this day is all about me GD IT!. However, I don't want to rip the fence down between us completely. Eventually she will know about the graduation anyway from a friend she has that lives in this apartment building. I mean, how is going to miss seeing me come and go in a cap and gown? So the question is this: after graduation do I send her the announcement within two weeks?

I am leaning toward yes for two reasons. First, if I do it is one less thing I'll question. I will spend more time questioning if it was right NOT to send it. Second, it keeps the relationship steady. If we ever did talk again, I don't want hard feelings and if a single stamp will prevent that then so be it. Third, she is a parent (barely). She may feel like my sibling or child the way she acts, but she is still my parent and I should show her that respect. I would still be No Contact with her. Finally, I do have a concern she will be angry she is not invited. I won't tell her my dad was there and I have a ready built excuse. I don't have the time to pick her up between rehearsals.

Any ESH on similar situations you have had to deal with?