Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MeggieStar
Starry Girl

Hi,

I understand where you are coming from. I really thought the first time my husband got clean things would be perfect since there were no drugs in our lives, finally. I was so wrong. An addict in the first year of recovery is generally a social mess. I felt as though I were entitled to most of his attention because while he was using he had been so awful. The hard truth is the recovery they go through doesn't really concern us and we mustn't get in the way. I have been very resentful feeling like I once again had to take a backseat.

I will have to agree with everyone and say that it is not proper or what is normally expected for a newly recovering addict to be developing personal relationships with other addicts of the opposite sex. While your AH might not be trying anything, those girls may have a different view of him, because they are all vulnerable right now. I think it's great your husband is stepping up to meetings and working a program, but in my own opinion someone with only six months does not yet qualify to be a sponsor, to anyone. It's very easy for addicts in early recovery to latch on to other addicts with whom they feel a connection, because perhaps they feel finally someone understands them.

I don't know what to say about the job. I guess I would just say, if your husband cheats or uses, remember it is HIM who stands to lose the most...his home, family, and has no job and worst, his serenity. It's not up to you to keep everything together, you can only do your best while protecting yourself and your children, including the new one. This means taking good care of yourself!

Stick around and good luck!