Old 04-28-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
LiLL

I think it's a desease, or at least, LIKE a desease ...
because an alcoholic's body doesn't react to alchohol like that of a healthy person anymore.

To me, the desease concept is important ...
because it means my A is not a bad, wilfully weak person. so i can stop punishing him, fighting with him, trying to change him ...

I don't think all As can choose recovery ...
Some just don't realize, or can't accept that they have a desease/problem... if they don't think they have a desease, why would they think they need recovery?

I don't think that believing alcholism is a desease will keep us stuck with the A ...
if we remember that this is a desease that we have absolutley no control over. Accepting the desease concept doesn't equal to willing to put up with the effects of the desease.

I'm not trying to debate on the topic though... Just writing out what I'm thinking and how the desease concept relates to my recovery....
There's no right or wrong of course. Same goes with the recovery programs for the alcoholics. There are programs that stress the desease concept and there are many that don't. As long as a program works for the individual A, it's the right program.

Last edited by LiLL; 04-28-2007 at 03:35 AM.