View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Alera,
You're right; it IS their loss. Anyone who would reject your friendship, wisdom and concern due to their preconceived notions of you based on your spiritual understandings is Truely the worse off for that rejection! I'm really glad *you* recognize that. At one time, my own self esteem wouldn't have.

But, Alera, Chabad is not a cult. It's part of mainstream Judaism. My Hebrew teacher belongs to a Chabad synogogue. They are far more tolerant, (not in Ten's way), than Othordox Jews. For example, Othordox Jews reject the fact that I'm a Jew completely. I didn't convert into an Orthordox synogogue, so, I'm not a Jew according to them. Chabad does not hold that perspective. However, Chabad would like to see all Jews strive to perform all the possible mitzvot, (both a blessing and a commandment), regularly. They are very accepting of the idea of progress, not perfection.
Teach, the Chabad I was involved in was a cult. Perhaps not all Chabad is, but this one is considered a cult by most of the cult researchers for a reason (i use the Singer model). They are personality driven, it is their way or the highway, they believed a certain man is the messiah so his words were the truth period. Very scary time for me. They even kicked my mother out and tried to keep me involved while they indoctrinated me.