Thread: Forgiveness?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lanie67

Originally Posted by katie6 View Post
My definition of forgiveness was obviously skewed as well, thanks for the post with the literal definition. Now how in the world do I get started giving up resentment and not feeling like I said before, that I am admitting defeat?

If I had to add up how many times I've forgotten the concept of praying for what I lack I would probably be embarassed, but I always forget that if I am in a place where I need something spiritually that I do not have I can always pray for it. There is kind of a joke about hedging do to that because 'you get what you pray for, i.e. 'if you pray for patience you might get a lot of long lines'. But I can pray for forgiveness, I can pray for the people whom I resent. For me sometimes I have to ask, why is this important, why is it important for me to forgive? For me the answer is because alcoholics and addicts drink and use 'at' people. Anger is a feeling we don't deal with so well. A friend of mine told me a long time ago that she only realized when she got into recovery that her motto her whole life had been "I'll show you, I'll hurt ME." Anger causes us to do self-destructive things, the worse of which is drinking and using. I think that we work with a higher power to clear the anger and pain from our past hurts out of our lives because loving higher power knows that these emotions are hurtful to us. So I feel that if I ask hp to help me forgive, and am willing to do the active work of clearning out the negative emotions (by writing, talking about it, etc) then even if I am not 'there' yet, I have done what I could for that day.