View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lola99

Married to Functional Alcoholic

Hi...I'm new here and have a question regarding my husband. We've been married for 12 years and known each other for 18 years. I do not drink but my husband does. He seems to be a functional alcoholic. He drink every day and can never stop at one drink. He doesn't drink during the day unless he's out to lunch with colleagues. However, I have visited his office and found a bottle of bourdon nearly empty in his desk drawer. His work is not affected by his drinking, and I've never seen him stumble or stagger or fall. But his eyes get that "glazed" look, and lately he's been getting very forgetful. When he's drinking, he'll forgot what he says and loses his cell phone. Tonight he came home and had the glazed look in his eyes. He gets easily agitated when he's in this state, and I've had to call the police out of fear on a couple of occasions. Tonight, he lost his wallet and credit card and is now driving around searching for them. He doesn't think he has a problem, and refuses to get help. I'm not interested in being an enabler. Any advice would be deeply appreciated....