View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 01:15 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Lilya

Juls,
I´m glad you know the story of Camille Claudel. She was a brilliant sculpturesse who was indeed Rodin´s mistress and pupil, and her early work show his influence and dominion over her. After she started working on her own, after the split with Rodin, she did major works like La Valse (1892), la Vague (1893), l'Age mûr (1895), to mention a few.

In Paris at least, we have recognized fully the life and work of Camille Claudel who would probably have faded into obscurity if not for a book that came out in the eighties (by Anne something, can´t remember)... and the film "Camille Claudel" with Isabelle Adjani which became a great success. Now her works are on display in Paris, of course, and I know there is or was an exhibition in Ontario on her works and Rodin together.

I believe Rodin was a great artist, there is no question, and like all artists with big egos, like Picasso, he used women and other people in general. He used Camille, yes, but he also tought her a great deal. There are never easy answers in the relationships between two artists. Camille suffered from incredibly difficult mental illness which made her life very sad, got the wrong treatment, but she was a great artist and ahead of her times and is fortunately now recognized.

Try ***** and see what you come up with.

Use adversity