Thread: update
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sunflower

I can only tell you my story--I am currently on morphine for a chronic illness.I first tried everything else besides narcoticsfor a few years--nothing worked-even alternative treatments all of which I tried. After nearly 6 years of being bedridden for all but two hours a day and having to walk on canadian crutches...They offerred me the morphine.
On the vicodin--which I was previously on--there were to many dips and dives in the pain levels. The morphine is time released-so there are no highs and lows.
I was scared-I knew once I started I would be addicted to morphine.I talked at lenght with my doctor about it.

I had to choose--what type of quality of life did I want? After I started taking it--my pain level lowered to a level that was livable-and I no longer needed crutches to walk ...I am up most days all day-I can walk my dog etc...some kind of life.

You can have no life if you are in horrible pain I do not regret it and it has been almost a year now.
I will say the pain management clinic monitors me closely--sometimes urine tests--plus only a 30 day prescription--they make it impossible for you to"play around' with it.They can call at anytime and I would have 24 hours to bring in my bottle so they can count my pills.

Once you start a narcotic treatment you have to start worrying about you head! I find meditation and massage work well for that.

I am sorry for your pain--it is an awful way to live.
You need to find a good pain management clinic to evaluate you and stick by you until you find whats right for you. It can be frustrating because you will have to try many different types of medications to find the one that is right for your pain. And that may not even be a narcotic--they have all kinds of new non narcotic pain medicines that just came out.

Only you know what your pain is like so try not to get angry when others tell you''i have this and that and i dont take anything"--they aren't in your shoes.