View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
What kills me about newcomers in AA, and even some of the folks on here that are in the rooms, is that they have SUCH a hard time believing in a power greater than themselves. That's not God, at all. That's a power greater than they are.

Does it amaze anyone but me that alcoholics are such a bunch of egmaniacs? How hard is it to accept that you aren't the end all, be all of everything? Really.
I don't believe that I or human beings are the end all, be all of everything. And I don't think this is a common belief among non-theists. It is common, however, for theists to project this belief onto us. I believe that are many things that are more powerful than myself. What I don't believe is that they intervene in the lives of humans in any kind of supernatural way. This goes against the core assertion of the 12-Step program that we can only recover by the intervention of God.

Now, I can't get down on a doorknob or anything, but I can definitely groove with the notion that my measly little 5'6" frame isn't the Big Guy. Or Girl, or flying spaghetti monster... **** man, if a flying spaghetti monster is where you're at, that's cool with me. It's probably a pretty badass Higher Power when you think about it.
I think you're missing the point behind the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

So to me, it's like this. Go to AA if you can get over yourself, and don't go to AA if you can't. If you REALLY think you're it, then I'd rather you stay home than take up space at a meeting. That way we'll have enough seats for the kids who want it.
That's awfully condescending. How bout go to AA if it is congruous with your belief system and don't go if it is antagonistic towards it. I go for peer support and try to accept all the religious jargon and assertions for what they are.

DK