View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by bv1979 View Post
Well, I've started attending al-anon meetings...but I'm a "normie," so I personally am not in any true recovery program.
I hope I don't raise the hair on anyone's back by saying this, but do any of you feel like you give up your "normie" card when you love an alcoholic? I understand being a normal drinker, but it seems to me like there's nothing normal about any relationship that involves alcoholism or an addiction.

Way to go on attending those Al-Anon meetings, bv. I hope you continue you to attend, and can assure you they'll give you tools that will be helpful in your relationship.

Early sobriety is a rollercoaster of emotions, you might be in for one heck of a ride with your gf. Even with a measly two years of sobriety under my belt I'm still raw, volatile, vulnerable, fragile, and sometimes I feel like I've got the relationship skills of a teenager. It gets better, but there's no time limits on how long it takes.

Try to be patient. I really believe that an alcoholic in recovery can be very loving and affectionate with true sincerity, but we're anything but consistent.