View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
andshewas

Historyteach- I am not out to cause trouble, but this is the second time you have said the thing about trolling- I did read the bylaws before signing up but maybe I am missing something? Is there a rule that ONLY sobriety/recovery can be discussed?

Here is my story (in way brief)- I am the daughter, granddaughter, neice and wife of alcoholics/drug users. I am also an atheist. This has made AA somewhat difficult for me (al anon as well as various people's interpretations of Higher Power). This site was recommended to me by a friend who is on here somewhere because I am currently trying to deal with my husband's relapse. I started in this section because I wanted to make sure I had some kind of commonality beyond *just* the addiction issues. These threads I have posted in have been ones I chose because I am comfortable putting forth an opinion on the subjects.

One of the things which has fascinated me for years has been the idea of Higher Power as Only Way To Recover. Frankly, I disagree. I also find a lot of the hoo and hah around it to be detrimental. Yes, I know many people *have* been helped by AA, but I do not think it is the Only Way. For a variety of reasons.

In the OP, the person (whom I wish well) said this book made them very uncomfortable in an already really painful situation. A lot has come up, and I commented not just on the first post, but some of the other issues/ideas.

Sorry if this seems weird, I just thought I would explain myself (hey, did I mention I might have a little dose of the Adult Children syndrome? ). Edit to add, after reading other thread- Maybe you're not paranoid when they really *are* out to get you, eh?

Last edited by andshewas; 04-19-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: many threaded response and smilie trouble