View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
andshewas

There are (Hi, by the way, as this is my first post) many kinds of atheist. Sam Harris was mentioned further up, as of course, was Dawkins. These two represent some atheists. Harris is dicey at best, though, since he has a definite agenda -claiming that some people's beliefs may be such that it might be ethical to kill them (pg 52 of the End of Faith) is hardly going to end religious irrationality, if I may be so bold.

That said- I have had trouble with the AA higher power idea for decades now. My mother is in recovery, and has been involved with AA. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But the thing which seems- to me- to be counter productive is the idea that you are helpless. Even when I believed in god, this rankled me a lot. HOW are you going to do anything if you are powerless?

Whether you believe or not in god, you do have the power within you to fight the addiction. Sometimes it will go well, sometimes not. But now might not be the best time to question everything all at once. One day at a time, and certainly, one battle at a time could serve you better in this.

Wait, stabilize, then Ask Big Questions.