View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
marteen
Hug giver-outer!

You did what you needed to do when you needed to do it and your reason was NOT to control your AD but to control your grandson's environment, which could have really hurt him.

I did not try to take my grandaughter away from my AD but it was different. She had her in another state and then when she came back, she came back to the baby's father's family. They were very controlling and at one point, when I explained to my AD that if she did not take the baby to the doctor, I would have to intervene. She did not like it but it brought upon some good action on her part.

Then she came over to visit us, driving a car, with the baby when the baby was only 4 mos old; AD was obviously using and I confronted her. I told her that if seeing my granddaughter meant that she would be in danger being in a car with AD taking drugs, then I would rather not see her. I just wanted her to be safe. And I also told her that I would not tolerate her being high in my home esp. when the baby was involved. She then kept her and the baby from us for over a year, telling us that we were dead to her. No calls, no contact, no nothing. She knew I would not back down about the safety of the baby.

As far as I heard, the baby was safe while she was living with the other grandmother but now AD is on her own and I think having her daughter is giving her some insight into what it means to be responsible for her. At least I hope so but the moment I see any danger signs, I will address them.

Hope somewhere, sometime down the road, your AD will be able to see the right path to take. But for now, she cannot see anything but her needs.