View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
elizabeth1979
Acting not reacting

OK, maybe Im off here..but here are my thoughts.
My family of origin had zero boundaries. Everything was everybodys business. Mom and dads marital problems were discussed with me and my brother, my brother and I were not allowed privacy at any level, and my role was often to be the 'mother hen' of the house. Until I messed up somehow and then I was chastised and punished as a 3 year old. My dad often took me on 'dates' and I was expected to fufill some of his needs he wasnt getting from mom for one reason or another.
So, am I reading too much into this? I know parents are busy but this bothers me that my own dad cant call me the right name. Maybe I should be asking why it bothers me, instead of why he does it or if anyone else has happen.
It bother me bc I feel unimportant, like I only exist to fill his needs and its not really important who I am or what my name is, only that I react the way he wants me to and hey if I call you the wrong name, dont worry- its not important who you are anyway! I also feel that my father treats people poorly in general, but he shows such a lack of respect for my mother it disgusts me. So, somehow when he calls me her name, I feel he is disrespecting me.

Ok, this is sounding very codependent isnt it?