Thread: Sponsors?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hangin' In
Southern through and through

Promise,

I'd highly recommend you getting a sponsor. Since you're relatively new in the anon rooms, just sit and listen. You'll find someone who has something you want....peace, serenity, level head while dealing with the disease of addiction. That is what I found in my sponsor. She has over 21 years in Al Anon and wisdom that can only come with that much time. I'm not saying you have to get someone with that much time, but the more time they have in recovery, the more solid their wisdom/recovery will be. That's just my humble opinion.

I tried working the steps by myself but if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, get yourself a sponsor who can guide you through them. Plus a sponsor shares his/her experience, strength and hope which is always good. I need all of that I can get. And if you read the steps carefully, you'll see they say "WE". That means we don't "do" recovery alone. If I try to do them by myself, who is going to call me on my crap (excuse my french) when I start fudging?

Yep, get yourself a sponsor and start working those steps which I've found are a way to a better life. I am SO glad I did.

Hugs,
Hangin' In