Thread: Sponsors?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I was incredibly lucky to find a STRONG Alanon meeting right away. There are lots of folks with longterm recovery and lots of folks from both programs... many of the AA folks already have worked a program and understand the value of the steps AND the traditions.

I got a sponsor after about 6 months. I would announce it at meetings, during the announcement section or during the sharing and ask folks who were interested to talk to me after meetings.

I looked for folks with time in the program (in my mind, 5 years seemed like a long time back then), I wanted someone who had already worked all the steps at least once and someone who also had a sponsor herself. In addition, I was hoping to hook up with someone who was a "mom of" rather than a "spouse of"... I just thought we would have more in common.

I got most of what I was looking for, except my sponsor is a "spouse of". She and I set up a "committee" for me to call when I was dealing specifically with "mom of" issues. Except I never call them... I just call her. She has been the perfect sponsor for me.

One thing that the folks around the tables advised me to do was to pray for a sponsor. I thought it was silly ... until it worked.

I wish you the best.

PS - I also agree with attending bood study meetings - you can find some folks there who are more focused on "program" rather than "qualifiers". ((hugs))