Thread: Forgiveness?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Wow Lanie, thank you for that wonderful post.

Originally Posted by lanie67 View Post
... something happens
the person who screwed up apologizes after realizing they have done something wrong
the person who was wronged forgives them."...
You know, there's a couple pieces missing from that idea of forgiveness. Here they way I would modify it to fit _my_ idea of forgiveness.

... something happens _by accident_
the person who screwed up apologizes after realizing they have done something wrong _and never does it again_
the person who was wronged forgives them." ...

If the "something" was _not_ an accident, then it's a wole different issue for me. Even if it is an accident and they _keep_ doing it, then it is also a different issue altogether.

... It's been implied that I am "unforgiving" because ...
I dunno, around here we work our _own_ inventory and don't go around "implying" to other people what is none of our business. Sounds to me like you are taking care of your emotions, your learning from the experience and becoming a better person because of it. As to those who are "implying", well it's good that they are getting practice taking other people's inventories cuz some day that will help them take their own

...I am finding those feelings are finite, and slowly, as I get them out, peace is coming in....
awesome, and well done

... I think, is that there are many people walking around out there who have not acknowledged childhood abuse. Some of them are just holding together with paper clips and glue, and any mention of things like parental failure or violation threatens them terribly, because they need to hold that stuff down for their own psychological survival.....
What you are expressing here is called "compassion". Compassion for those who hide their pain by pointing fingers at others.

...I am sober, and I am not actively wronging people in the ways that they did....
That says it all right there, Lanie. Me thinks you're doing just fine.

Mike