View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HKAngel24

Grounded in Reality

After my slip the other day I really worked on reminding myself that the "old" triggers to which I would respond with panic and hysteria in attempts to control CAN be replaced with other more healthier reactions.

Trouble is I am trying it hard to still stay grounded in reality in terms of loving an addict- even a recovering one. Has anyone else found it difficult to detach in the sense that I need to constantly remind myself that this is him and then this is me? One minute I am entitled to my own opinions, feelings, dreams, goals, actions etc. and that regardless of what he says and does but, then I can subconciously it seems, get sucked back into a place where I begin obsessing and freaking out over the most minute things.

Every physical and verbal interaction we have, it seems I must conciously be aware of staying detached and grounded in MY reality and not victim to his words and behavior.
Has anyone found ways that help one remain detached in interactions with their addict? Sometimes I feel myself being sucked back in without even realizing it. I then become aware of it later when I react in an unhealthy way to something that happens.