Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LGLG07
Let Go Let God

well i know every situation is different but i can bet that many of our alcoholics have suffered some kind of trauma that led them to feel that need to escape themselves by self medicating with alcohol/and or drugs . my ah suffers from ptsd as well . he was diagnosed abt 8 months ago . it is a relief to finally know that there is a name but it doesnt make the road any shorter .

he still needs to want to get better . i think anybody can recover if they want to recover . they have to want it for the right reasons . your ah needs to understand that this abuse was not his doing , it was not his fault and he had no control . he was a child and had nobody to turn to , its too sad to even think about really . if he can let go of the burdens that he has been carrying around with him for all these years he will be in the right direction .
and believe me i know you cant just tell him that and hes gonna go 'ok , ive let go , im better now' it takes years of therapy . during that time he will need to learn coping skills , up until now its been alcohol . i know with my ah whenever things get stressful , he starts drinking & using . he knows no other way and until he is willing to learn another way , hes never going to stop .

the trauma he suffered as a child may be the reason he turned to alcohol but it cannot be an excuse .
i know im not really saying anything that you dont already know . i am so sorry that you are going through this and pray for you .