Thread: What to do???
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopeful Still

Red face What to do???

Hello, all. Haven't posted for quite some time. My AH was in rehab back in October. He's been home for the five months and doing quite well. My problem is this ... from time to time (say, every other week or so) when he comes home from work, I "think" I smell beer, although it is very faint. Of course, I question myself and say to myself, "Give him the benefit of the doubt." My AH is not the type of alcoholic who appears drunk. He basically always maintained an "even keel" to deal with life. His therapist says that he has been self-medicating with alcohol/drugs, as he suffers from depression and anxiety. I have been very proud of him and his recovery thus far, but these occasional moments when I "think" I smell alcohol drive me crazy. I've been trying to adhere to Al-Anon principles and to detach with love. I understand that his sobriety is NOT my responsibility. I know about the three C's. But do I confront him? And if I do, is there really anything I can do about it? Has anyone else been in this situation? I am really trying to give him time to recover, but I am SOOOO afraid of going down that old path. I've told him that I won't do it again ... if he starts the drinking and the lies again and risks losing everything again (many job losses, bankruptcy, foreclosure, hurting me and his kids), I won't be able to put on the mask I wore for so long of the happy family. Would appreciate input if any of you have been in similar situation and can share your wisdom!