View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Laura_P

Red face day 1 and counting....

I've been reading a lot of the posts and it sounds like a lot of people have or are going through what I'm going through. I have posted here before, but it's been a very long time. Back the last couple of times that I tried to quit. This time is different, though. I have told my husband, something I didn't do before. I'm also going to tell a couple of my best friends, when before I just told them that I was dieting and that's why I was cutting back. My Husband and I actually had a long, sobbing, crying discussion last night. On our way home from dinner at a friends' house, I passed out. I awoke merely to vomit (fortunately in a barf bag). My two kids, 8 and 11 were with us and they were very concerned. I don't think that they related the vomiting to the drinking. I think my husband just told them that I was car-sick. (Not unusual as both of my kids get car-sick. Hence, the handy Barf-bags in the car). My bad time is at night. I don't drink during the day, but come that 5 pm hour, I'm craving it big-time, and I don't usually stop until I've had at least 6 or 7. Sometimes more. I often sneak in alchohol if I know that I'm going to be somewhere for a long time and it's not avialable. Last weekend I snuck vodka into my daughter's dance competition. How lame am I???? Last time I tried to quit, I took Campral, a prescription drug prescribed by my doctor to decrease the cravings. It seemed to help some, but it's very expensive! I guess it's still cheaper than buy wine, though! Has anyone else used Campral and what were your results?

I'm very nervous about this first week. I'm nervous about telling my frinds, but I think that will be easier than hearing them constantly ask me to have a drink with them. I'm determined to have a better life than this. Both for me and my family. I wish it could be different, and that I could have the occasional social drink without going overboard. But after last night, I know that's not how it is. I'm 39 and I want to live a long and healthy life. I'm going to the gym tomorrow and will be trying to focus myself on more positive things in my life. I want to lose about 20 pounds (Not drinking so much should help!)
Any advice is welcome. I know I will do it this time. I have to!