View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
thejunkyswife

Congratulations on your own recovery!

I can't say enough how much attending Nar-Anon meetings has helped me. If you are able to find a Nar-Anon meeting or an Al-Anon meeting, I hope you will be able to make it to one or two. Even after attending just one meeting, I left with an increased sense of strength and serenity. Before I started going to meetings, I was certain that I'd never be able to leave my husband, no matter what. While I haven't left him, the skills and the support that I've found in those rooms have helped me realize that i CAN leave it it is right for me--I can get out, I can take care of myself, and I can be fine on my own.

I was married previously to an alcoholic, and I left him. I never attended meetings until this new relationship, but it has made a world of difference. I think I would have left my first husband much sooner if I'd been involved in an Al-Anon group at the time. The wisdom that you'll find there is often simple and obvious, but sharing stories (much as we do on this forum) and hearing that you aren't alone, that there is nothing so messed up that it can't be improved, and that you are only responsible for the decisions you make for yourself (and, obviously, as a mother, for your child) is so empowering.

Good luck to you!