View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

This is what the California Society for Addiction Medicine has to say...

http://www.csam-asam.org/blogs/forum/?p=14

And this is from the Prometa web site:

Safety and Effectiveness
How effective is treatment using PROMETA?
The effectiveness of the PROMETA treatment protocols has not yet been proven. Clinical studies for alcohol and methamphetamine dependence, but not cocaine dependence, are underway.

Therefore, it is up to the PROMETA-treating physician to review the available data on the treatment program and assess whether it is appropriate for any given patient. Hythiam makes no representation about the efficacy of these treatment programs for any given patient.

How safe is treatment using PROMETA?
Treatment using PROMETA has not been assessed in controlled clinical studies. The medications used in PROMETA treatment are prescribed by physicians, and a physician must determine whether the given medications are appropriate for an individual patient considering treatment. Hythiam makes no representation about the safety of these treatment programs.

Are there any clinical studies ongoing using PROMETA?
Currently, several clinical studies are being performed for various aspects of treatment using PROMETA. Two methamphetamine studies are underway – one study sponsored by UCLA, CA and Dr. Walter Ling, the other methamphetamine study with Research Across America and Dr. Harold Urschel, Dallas, TX.

With regards to alcohol dependence, Cedars Sinai, CA is involved in one study; Dr Jeffrey Wilkins will conduct the study. The Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs (CDAP), at the Medical University of South Carolina is also studying PROMETA for alcoholism. Dr. Raymond Anton, MD and his colleagues are responsible for the study.

If my daughter was active, I would consider it. Because when she was using, the damage was happening so fast, I was willing to stop it using ANYTHING.

But it was my very desperation that made me vulnerable. And because of that, I tend to look on these things with a bit of a jaded eye.

I wish you the best... really. (((hugs)))