View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 12:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Juls

Hi All,

Today was my day off, so I was up late last night watching the Classic Movie Channel. I watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still," and the original "Fly." I hadn't seen "The Day," since I was 11 or 12, and I remember being scared silly by that big silver robot. I like the original fly as well. I went out to the movies and saw "Seabuscuit," over the weekend, and I also watched "The Red Violin," for about the 3rd or 4th time recently.

I see that others here like to watch the same movies more than once also.

One really bizarre movie that I saw years ago is called "Dead Ringers." Has anyone else seen it. Based on a true story (I love movies that are based on true stories), about these twin Dr.'s that are GYN's. Really perverted characters. They designed this set of GYN instruments that were really barbaric and they are on display somewhere in a museum. The story takes place in Canada. They pretend they are each other when they are dating women and then compare notes. One is a drug addict and gets into trouble with that, while the other one trys to save him, he becomes addicted. In the end they perform mutual surgery on each other, and kill themselves.

Nancy,

I missed your earlier post about being assaulted and suffering from PTSD. I am so sorry you had to experience that and I understand completely about the need to talk about it. Please don't every feel you are burdening anyone here by discussing it. When I was 16 I experienced being kidnapped and brutally raped by two men. I suffered from terrible PTSD afterwards and am still affected by it 32 years later. I am a massage therapist but I will not massage men because I don't want to be alone in a room with a man where I would be vulnerable to any type of unwanted advances.

I still have anxiety falling asleep at night, because while they let me go afterwards they told me if I told anyone they would come at night to kill me. I did go to the police, but I wish I hadn't. It was very humiliating, and because I was afraid they would come to kill me, I couldn't sleep at night for years. I would stay awake until 4 in the morning, and then for some reason I would feel it was o.k. to sleep. I would sleep for three hours and then get up for school or work. Anyway that's probably a story for the PTSD board, but it's something I've rarely shared with anyone. It's too difficult.

I recently purchased several of the books by L. Frank Baum. I picked up "The Wizard of Oz," "The Patchwork Girl of Oz," "The Lost Princess of Oz," and "Ozma of Oz." These were books I really enjoyed as a child and I want to share them with my six year old daughter.

She's really enjoying them as well. We take turns reading the paragraphs, and after we've read a chapter we take turns discussing what we've read in our own words. I find this is a great way to have my daughter think about what she's read and use her imagination to describe it. I love my daughter so much, and enjoy sharing with her like this. I feel so lucky to have her.

Lilya,

I haven't heard of the film "Bad Timing," but I will go check it out. I don't know if it's similar, but it made me think of a movie I watched when I was getting clean called "The Lost weekend."

Hi Mamabear, good to hear from you. How are things with your son at school, and how are you. Have you been taking care of yourself and doing some good things for yourself?

Juls