View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Golfman

Wink

Originally Posted by socalgal View Post
I garden, usually barefoot!

I also like "night gardening" when it is quiet and still and nobody else is around but me and the night critters!

I find gardening therapeutic in many ways. Here is Southern Cal. it is possible to grow things almost year round. I know...people in other parts of the country, please, don't hate me for saying that!

It feels good to smell the earth. Gardening teaches trust and faith and patience. When I am alone in the yard I feel my closest connection to God. I guess you could say it is an almost spiritual experience.

Seriously, as I write this I am again pondering if there is a way to make gardening somehow part of my "life's work". What will I be when I grow up? Hmmm.

Thanks for the question. It has provoked some thought.
-K
socalgal,

love how you put it. it is spiritual to be alone and with nature. hey, who says you have to grow up? I'm in my 50's and i'm still a young man in my mind. Of course when I was drinkin', i was a legend in my own mind.

Gardening can be part of your life's work. Both outside, and in recovery. You can tend to your flowers outside that bring you joy, and you can tends to the little buds in recovery and watch them blossom.