View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mallowcup

I start my seeds inside this time of year. Seeds are cheap and youcan plant in any old cans of pots. The morning sun is bright in the windows this time of year.
There is something about seeing those seeds pop through the soil that feels good. If you plant now, the flowers or vegetables will be ready to set outside by May.
What can make it fun is to plan a flower bed or a yard of flowers all in one color. All white, all red, all purple. I buy my seeds very cheaply from ebay and have had good luck.
This year I am doing all perennials. I have been browsing through all the perennial seeds during the winter and now have a whole coffee can full of seed packets to start.
I chose perennials because usually I am too drawn to the bright annuals and don't have the patience to grow perennials.
I need to develope patience and I like the statement that perennials make. I was here and I'm staying.
I think it's good mentally as gardening in samll areas of the yard is so relaxing and you really get a sene of accomplishment.
It is a good an simple lesson in starting something and seeing a beautiful result.
This is also the time of year I take down my heavy winter drapes and hang fresh crisp summer curtains that allow the sun in. This may sound weird but, there is something revitalizing about sparkling clean windows, freshly laundered curtains and seeds planted and soaking up the morning sun. Just my own seasonal tradition.