View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Golfman

Wink

Can't Stop,

I've had chronic depression for years. However, I drank because I'm an alcoholic. I've been sober a very long time now. In sobriety, I've had several depressive episodes. My problem was finding the right medication. You may or may not know that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Yoy may have seen commercials on TV for Zoloft or Cymbalta. The Zoloft commercial shows the imbalance in a cartoon-like manner. It's not making fun, it's simply an easy was to show what's going on up there in the brain. The commercial for Cymbalta points out the names of the two main chemicals that can be out of whack.

The bottom line is that each person has a balance of these chemicals unique to them. It's only by trial that any doctor and patient can be sure the prescribed drug is actually working. Generally, it take two weeks for an anti-depressant to build up in the system enough to have the desired effect. That's not to say that it doesn't happen sooner.

It's also the case in many instances that an AD can stop working after a period of time. i've had to switch medications three or four times over the last 15 years. I am taking effexor right now. It's working for me. I feel "normal" whatever that is. I've been taking it for three years now.

I hope that your case is mild and that you have found the right medication. I would suggest that you make sure your physician is qualified to deal with depression. Many GP's dispense AD meds without actually knowing what they are faced with. My son-in-law was prescribed a certain AD by a physician at a walk in clinic. Within three months he was so out of control that he has no recollection of what he did during that time. It turns out that the AD prescribed to him increased the level of one chemical in his brain so high that by the time he went to the emergency room, the doc there told him he's never seen levels that high an by all rights he should have been dead.

I ramble on only to be of service. Again, I hope your case is mild and can be quickly taken care of. Just make sure you have the right doc prescribing it.

Ed