View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DaVinci2

Originally Posted by Waitng4Reality View Post
Are you saying that there are NO alcoholics in Japan? If I were you, I'd give up the Paxil.....
I'm saying that what people in America would consider an alcoholic, would be considered normal here. Businessmen have beer and wine with lunch, especially when it's lunch with a customer. Businessmen often drink after work with their co-workers and with their friends after work. They then go home and drink again.

While this may not be true for every single Japanese person, it's far different than America. If I say "I drink everyday." people don't bat an eye. They say "Me too. Drinking helps me relax. I just wish it didn't make me fat around the waiste." Those that don't drink much, still drink on a weekly basis, or even daily basis, just in smaller amounts. It's just the way it is. They sell alcohol at the subway and train stations, people are allowed to drink outside so you will often see businessmen drinking alcohol on the way home from work. AA is almost non-existant here because they don't feel it's a problem.

Like I said, it's a part of the culture. I have no problem giving up alcohol, but I do have to keep in mind that my job, in the country I live in NOW, requires me to take into consideration the fact that it is sometimes expected of me to drink. That's why I am asking. I would choose my life over my work. I would accept the stigma of being labeled and take the risk that I may have to move onto other work sometime in the near future and give up all that I've worked for until now. However, if a beer here and there isn't going to jeapordize my health, and I can avoid the label and possible loss of work, then I would rather follow that path.