View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
upsidedownworld

gratitude for you

New to the group and new to this life. I have appreciated all the posts and have spent the past 3 days reading and reading.

I found out one week and one day ago that my 21 year old daughter was addicted to oxycontin and heroin. My husband and I drove to the town where she was attending college (we thought) and got her out of her apartment and into detox. That was last Tuesday. She got out of detox yesterday (Monday) morning and we drove her straight to a halfway house. She was up for it and happy to get help. It is a seven month program and they boast a 67% long-term sobriety rate for everyone who completes the entire 7 month program. It is also a women's facility. They are very strict but she was up for it. This morning (after less than 24 hours) I got a call from the manager that she had gotten on the bus and left. I don't know where she is and I'm trying not to worry. I'm trying to "detach."

She has all kinds of issues going on in addition to the drug addiction. She is on some depression meds, is codependent, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure she went looking for her boyfriend. She told some of the other girls that she was going to her boyfriend's house and then to check into another halfway house. That's not going to happen though. I called the boyfriend's house and left a message that she can call me and I'll take her to another halfway house if that one didn't work out. Please don't use drugs again, just call me and we'll try a different one. But I'm not going over there and chase her around anymore.

When she got out of the detox she was really emotional. She had spent the last 90 days in a drug haze and I think when she got out of detox she realized how screwed up she was. I think she was still feeling withdrawal effects as well. I thought the best thing to do was get her into a super structured halfway house that specializes in women's problems. The people there were not very friendly and she was so depressed going in. A lot of the women there had been in and out of jail, in and out of detox centers and halfway houses. This is her first experience and all she wanted to do was come home with me but I didn't trust myself. I don't know what to do because this problem is so huge - I couldn't even see what was under my own nose.

I've appreciated reading all the posts and am trying to put the recommendations to work. My first nar-anon meeting is this Saturday. There's only one per week in my entire state - yuck - so I'll have to wait. Meanwhile I'm reading this website.

Thanks for reading.