View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
socalgal

I have very strong feelings about interventions. My family did one on me and to this day I suffer trauma from it. I have even had to deal with this in therapy, 15 years after the fact. The intervention didn't stop me from drinking. I did go to a 30 day program and stay sober for a while, but I simply wasn't ready to stop drinking.

I feel that the intervention was the ultimate codependant power play. It happened because that is what my mother wanted and needed. She manipulated everyone into seeing things her way and they all bought into the idea that this was for "My own good" and because they "loved me". Nobody ever considered that it was a total control thing. In a split second my mother turned every person whom I trusted against me. I have so much hurt and anger over the incident. I have nightmares of walking into that room and seeing all the people I loved looking at me. The "rules" of the intervention didn't allow me to speak, I was just to sit there and listen. They took away my voice. I felt quite victimized and treated like a criminal and it ws all done in a very "loving" way with carefully scripted words. It was terrible and I felt trapped and I did what they wanted and I have still not recovered.

I got sober when it was my idea and my choice. I have been sober for 13+ years.

This is just my experience, but I felt compelled to share what can happen.

The intervention was led by a pro.

Everyone's situation is different. I think the relationship I have/had with my codependent mother who has tried to control me since birth was a very negative factor in my case.

-K