View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 05:31 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Lilya

I agree. Thankfully I´m an old spinster now and not likely to start anything so exhausting as a love affair, thank God! A film that might interest you after "Unfaithful" is "Streetcar Named Desire" by Eliah Kaasan with none other than Vivian Leigh and the too gorgeous Marlon Brando. My God, what looks! What a male! He is tops. Anyway, I was watching to before falling asleep yesterday and it´s such a classic.

I belong to a movie group with women I know from the theatre. We go and see ground-breaking films at least once a month and then have hard discussions afterwards. Bergman is defiantely a topic, and also the new films that portray relationships. I recommend "La Pianiste" by Haneke, an Austrian film, but in French with Isabelle Huppert and Benoît Magimel. Rarely have I seen such portrayal of total lunacy, but what interests me is the eternal darkness seeking the light; the unhealthy seeking the healthy. The movie is about a brilliand pianist, a woman in her forties who lives with her mother and even sleeps in the same bed with her. They share a definately unhealthy relationship and the pianist is totally frozen sexually. After each masterclass she goes to sex-clubs to satisfy her sexual hunger. She meets a young, brilliant student who comes to her masterclass and thus begins the sordid, but powerful tale. It came out in the year 2000 in France and was the talk of the town. If you like classical music, it´s marvellous. I´ve recommended it before.

Use adversity