View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GwenMarie30

I just watched 3 shows on A&E. The 1st was a meth addict. It showed her getting high and the extreme addict behavior. The family gathers and tells of their care and concern and each asks her to go to treatment or else. If she decides not to go that day then the family then gives her the ultimatums. No money, food, place to live and turn her in on a warrents she has. She ends up going but checks herself out. The family meets her and takes her to the jail. She served 90days and still an addict today with no family or home. The second show was an alcoholic that went the same as the 1st show, except she returned to treatment. The 3rd show was a heroin user. Really graffic! It showed her scoring her dope, loading the needle, and injecting. She went to rehab after a huge fight with the family and is clean today for a year and is a manager at the treatment facility where she went to treatment. She used to be a health and fitness teacher at a school for the 5th grade and attended Penn State. Its really amazing to see addiction in its many forms and the range of functioning addicts. Ive always know addiction doesnt really care who the person is but it just really made me think, Is the bus driver for my kids sober and clean? Or is the school counselort high? I didnt look your tipical addict either and was pretty much a functioning addict. No one knew. Until the end of my addiction anyway. Anyway, it was a really graffic and interesting show. It is based to hit the addict and the codies and parents and family that loves an addict too.

So now for a question. I understand that its "HANDS OFF THE ADDICT". But when is it okay for something like this intervention. Would you do it?