View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ayla zaire

hello, alton.....i know how you are feeling right now.....my mother was an alcoholic.....she drank quite heavily for a long time........i'm very sorry to say there is not much you can do to stop this.......of course you can tell her how you feel and that you love her and are worried, etc......but those things just do not make a difference to an addict.......i understand, also, because i am one.......it's not to say that we don't love you, but addiction is a very powerful thing......and it is more powerful than your words.......they won't get through to her......

i know how sad this is for you......and i really wish i had some more encourageing words for you, but there is hope.....this board is full of people who are addicted and have found sobriety......my mother was sober for 2 yrs. when she passed......

i can tell you that it is a very difficult and frightening thing to admit you are an alcoholic or an addict of any kind.......there is so much guilt and shame involved.....so many of us can go for a long time in denial.......

i gave my mother literature on alcoholism, quoted statistics.......and even refused to leave my children with her alone, for fear that she would be unable to care for them......but she had to admit to herself she had a problem......and take her own steps to quit......

take care of yourself and your daughter.....and if you pray, do so for her.....and i wil too......

good luck,
hugs
ayla