View Single Post
Old 04-09-2003, 06:34 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
recovering co-d
Paused

I found your posting very interesting. I think I have an adictive personality, I don't drink excessively I have one or two with friends at a bbq but I used to drink excessivly from 19- 23yrs of age. I found that it gave me confidence, something that I didn't have naturally. My mum has always been there to help me when I'm in trouble. I also play the role of the rescuer very well and then become the victim. About 6 yrs ago I found myself in a relationship with a drug user.He had a phsical injury I wasn't aware of the drug use until much later. I ended up suffering from depression anxiety etc. I was basically forced to leave the relationship. I was too scared to leave and loved him a lot but I was also too scared to stay. I did leave, I got out of the situation and fortunately their were no children involved. I recently went through a trauma and found myself afterwards back in the rescuer role. This time I became aware of it a lot more quickly and have dealt with the situations in the best way possible. I think I replaced my addiction to alcohol with an addiction to dramatic relationships. I am now learning I think to deal with my problems instead of running from them or worrying, getting depressed and curling up in a ball and hoping that it will all get better. You words were very helpful and hopefully I will find this website helpful.