View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 07:27 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Heavens

Re: unfaithful

Dear Lilya,

I found the movie very groundbreaking in the area of looking at a side of human nature that we often refuse to see and instead deny -- the reality of the fact that infidelity and murder are human and that they are not uncommon. I thought the movie realistically portrayed the fact that while these are human and common behaviors, they often? always? have real consequences that might make us want to think twice about the behaviors, certainly about repeating them...what do you think?
That was my experience...that the consequences are too costly for the small amounty of pleasure experienced...I was not unfaithful to the boyfriend that assaulted me...although I was tempted to be a couple of times when I thought he was -- I was tempted to retaliate, but realized, from the memory of long ago, when I was unfaithful to my ex-husband, some eighteen years ago, the first three years of our twenty-three year marriage, that the price was too high when I remembered the high price I paid then...my ex never did forgive me. He stayed with me for twenty-three years, he says for the sake of the kids, and punished me for the seventeen years that I was faithful after I stopped the behavior after deciding it caused too much pain...by treating me with no regard often and much anger...and by finally abandoning me, all the while using my former unfaithfulness as a poor excuse, I think, since that is what he has said...

to date I have never committed murder...but humbly know that I am capable of it...and also know that I pray that I never act on it because the horrible guilt and pain afterwards would torment me horribly...which I thought the movie did a good job of reflecting...art refelcting life, as it is defined to do...

yes, a very real issue.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Today all I did was work and cater to the kids, not that those are not lovely things, but did not watch a movie yet. However, tomorrow is Saturday -- movie day around here! Hope to finally watch an Ingmar Bergman!

Take care,
Love,
Nancy