View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lenore7777

I can identify with inthisforme and others. I am new here as well. I broke up with BF ten days ago and didn't realize how addicted to him I was. I have to "grieve the loss of the dream" as my sister used to say. I have to let go of what I thought we had, or will have. At the same time I won't give up hope or stop loving him. I will just love him from a distance and wait until the sober him contacts me. But while I am waiting I am working on me, for me. One way I get through this is to remember him when he was drunk and stupid and ugly. I don't want that person back, and if the sober person I adore can't be around right now then I have to move on.

But all of this is surprisingly hard. I sit here in amazement at how he could throw us away for booze. He pursued me, he wanted us to live together (which I said no to because of his drinking), he says we are going to be together forever. I would imagine most of us who hook up with addicts/alcoholics are supreme nurturers. And then when they get really sick and really into their drug of choice we are supposed to sit back and watch them destroy themselves. It is going to be the hardest job of nurturing I have ever done...just leaving him alone to wrestle the beast on his own.

Lenore