View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Deathrow welcome to SR, you mention being lonely, bored, depressed, wanting to stop drinking and not being able to.

Well I happen to know of places full of people just like you and I, we all have been where you are at right now, we are all alcoholics who help each other get and or stay sober. These are the rooms of AA.

I owe my life to AA, when I went into the rooms I was welcome with open arms, I saw people smiling, I heard them laughing and having a great time, there was no doubt that they were not at all like me, I was broken, I had just gotten out of detox and I was miserable and scared. I wanted what they had bad, but how?

Well folks came up to me smiling and introduced them selfs, I looked like death warmed over, a semi sober old drunk, yet they didn't care.

I quickly learned that every one of them had been in my shoes, they were alcoholics just like me but with one major difference, they were sober, happy, joyous, and free!!!!

They all knew the pain, the loneliness, the self hate, the shame, the confusion, some of them had attempted suicide when they were drinking, some of them had spent time in jail or prison, yet here they were all of them together, the lawyer, the day laborer, the painter, the cashier, the black, the white, the hispanic, the jew, the catholic, the agnostic, the athiest, the straight and the gay, the old and the young, all of them together, happily sharing their experience, strength, and hope!

These people gave me freely all they had to give, they showed me how they stayed sober, they also showed me how to become a better person, a person that was no longer hating the person I saw in the mirror, they taught me how to love myself and respect myself.

AA was the answer to me, for years I had avoided AA because of folks who did not know what they were talking about telling me every crazy thing you can imagine about AA.

Go to AA meetings, not one or 2, but several, if you are to nervous about doing that call the AA hotline and talk to them, tell them what you are going through. You will be talking to a sober alcoholic when you call that will be very happy to share with you how they got and stay sober.

One of the best things about AA is you will never be judged for your past, I can tell you right now that there is not one thing you have done that at least a few of the people in the room have not done them selfs.

AA had the solution for me, I drank for 40 years, tried to quit on my own for the last 10 years and could not, went into detox to get sober and then straight into AA to stay sober. I got so much more from AA then simple sobriety, I got a real life, with real freinds!