View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
concolor1

Fishing Worked For Me . . .

My alcoholic was a gym dandy; held the record at a couple of treatment centers for BAC numbers among women . . .

So when she relapsed, I went right into the toilet. First time it happened, I sat in my little dumpy house staring at the wall and smoking cigarettes (I've been nicotine free for coming up on 17 years now).

Second time I hopped in the car and went fishing on a trout stream south of here even though it was the middle of March. I'd forced myself to pick up an old hobby just for the distraction . . .

The advice the pros give is: "Do something, even if it's wrong." Well, anything that takes the focus of the alcoholic so the head can't play KFU----(Better be careful, CC, that one might be in violation of the rules. Anyway, the term is KF-- Radio for the extreme ruminating some of us get into, who would probably be better off crying).

Here's a list of hobbies just off the top of my head: Photography, painting, ceramics, the aforementioned fishing--I tie some gorgeous flies nowadays--wodworking, stamp or coin collecting... You can name your own and everyone will be cheering for you . . .

I'd advise against gambling. I went to Vegas one time right after a really nasty split up . . . Dropped five hundred bucks I didn't have . . .

Showed her, right? ;-)

Last edited by concolor1; 03-03-2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typos