View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
prodigal

You made HER your life the two years you were together. Therein lies the problem. You didn't make YOU your life. I understand you have feelings of love for her, but love means having to let go. If you don't you will be an empty shell waiting for her to retur so she can once again be YOUR life. Hon, you are every bit as sick as she is. I don't mean that in an insulting way. I mean that as someone who spent her entire life living everyone else's life except my own. I didn't know what I felt, how I felt, or why I felt. I was completely preoccupied with sleepless nights trying to figure out why the man in my life did what he did, said what he said, why he put the booze before me.

Heck, I figured out my AH's family history in detail while ignoring getting into mine!

It's not about having projects and keeping yourself "busy." That is avoidance. Avoidance of your feelings. Avoidance of what is. Basically, the stuff we do in recovery is face ourselves (and it hurts!) by going to Al-Anon, through a connection with the God of our understanding, by praying, by getting into counseling. You can't get her our of your heart or your mind by taking up a project.

So here's a suggestion: if you want a truly meaningful project, make that project YOU. Whatever lengths you need to go to, whatever pain you have to go through .... make your numero uno project YOU.