Thread: He passed away
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mallowcup

I'm so sorry. You could not undo what years of drinking damaged. His health was not a symptom, it was the consequence of years and years of drinking. Sometimes in the end we SEE tings so clearly that we didn't see before. I think it's because we know them within their disease as if it is normal for them. We become conditioned to something we can't change. We can't do anything about it and the damage is progressive and gradual so that we aren't startled by it, we become desensatized. Throwing up blood becomes nothing to get too shook up about, he's been doing that for three years now.
We all read things here and compare our alcoholics to them. "Oh, my husband isn't that bad". or "If he ever hits me, I'll leave". Well, our husbands will get that bad. He didn't hit me, he pushed me or he didn't mean it, he was drunk. They progressively get worse and our eyes only take in what they can handle. We are all made up of flesh and blood. No one can drink poison everyday and escape the ultimate consequence.