Thread: new to therapy
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mjs

new to therapy

Hi everyone...Read some good stuff here and wanted to throw this out for anyone to post on. I am in talk therapy for the first time in my life and am not sure if I should stick with it. I have been going once a week for 8 weeks and I really like my therapist. She is an A.P.R.N.,B.C. and she is very kind,supportive, and understanding. My primary problem is addiction to weed and alcohol and basic depression. I suffered some pretty nasty abuse when I was growing up. My therapist practices depth psychotherapy and I have told her some of my story. She is telling me that until I come to terms with and accept what happened to me when I was a child and stay clean and sober I will never fully heal and will be very tempted to soothe myself. She also asks me how I feel a lot and I have to tell her that I don't feel much of anything except frustrated. Is there more going on than I what I am seeing? Is there anything I can do to better understand the process? Is there really such a thing as the unconscious? Has this been proven in any scientific way? I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone could give...thanks