Thread: Upsetting posts
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newenglandgirl

Upsetting posts

Below I've pasted two quotes that were posted on the Alcoholism Forum. They really upset me. What they say totally hits me where it hurts. We all are trying so hard to be healthy and save ourselves from "going down with the ship" but a lot of us still feel extremely guilty and worry also that maybe we're "abadoning" our A's in a time of need. ugh. So confused. What do you guys think?

From Tiburon:
"Isn't it a fine line between loving the addict and enabling him/her??? I believe that if my family gave up on me completely I would be dead. It just seems like everything a loved one says or does for the addict is labeled as "enabling." Do alanon members know that just wanting to quit addiction and "working a 12-step program" is sometimes still not enough to stay sober??"

From Hooner:
"I get annoyed with Al-Anon stating they have to go on and live their lives. Who cares about the damage caused pre or post drinking. It's one for all or all for one. Look out for yourself, screw everyone else. At least drunks realize what they are doing is wrong and most feel miserable with every sip. But Al-Anon just says, "I know someone screwed up and they messed me up." Well, don't you think most drinkers have had the same or not worse??????????"