View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Morning Glory
Administrator

What if it were your beliefs that were constantly being denounced and maligned?
I live with this daily. My beliefs changed drastically 15 years ago. I was a member of the church at the time and tried very hard to hang onto that. I was rejected by the church and it was a very painful experience. I was hurt and angry. I tried to talk to them and tried to have them hear me. I couldn't understand why they didn't understand what I was trying to say. My pastor looked at me and told me that my beliefs would only lead me to despair. I had to walk away from the church when I needed the support the most.

I searched hard after that and could not find any place to fit in. I only knew of one other person that shared my beliefs. How could that be in this huge world? I was scared. It made me feel like I was losing my mind at first. The only thing I can compare it to is the Matrix movie when Neo took the red pill and woke up to a new reality. Everyone else was still plugged into their reality and could not see that mine existed.

I quickly learned that trying to change their perspective did not work. My expectations and trying to fit in was only hurting me. I had to learn to walk alone in that area of my life. I had to learn that being different was ok. I had to learn to deal with the isolation. I also had to take myself out of victim mode and realize that it was my choices that were causing the problems. Those choices were important enough to me to pay the price. I also had to learn to allow others to have their own beliefs even if that meant that mine were rejected and me with them.

A few months ago I was searching for a poem for the grief forum here and I accidentally landed on a site where I found others that share my beliefs. It is the first time in 15 years. I can't begin to tell you what that felt like. Those 15 years had lessons for me that I couldn't have learned any other way. I've found wonderful friends here on SR who have helped me though the isolation even though I've never shared any of this.

The solution for me is to deal with my own pain, anger, resentments, and isolation and continue to stand in what I believe regardless of how others feel. I can't change the opinions of others or an organization as large as the church and I can't share without experiencing rejection.