View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
paulmh

Wow this has come on quite a bit.

For me it keeps coming back to - some people expect AA to be perfect and get upset when it isn't. That to me is about not being able to manage one's expectations, not through any fault of the fellowship and its programme.

I know there are AA members who think that the BB is divinely inspired. I don't. I think it's an inspirational book though - a bit like Catch 22, or Great Expectations, or (insert your favourite book here). It's particularly inspirational because it helps me to makes sense of my condition. And it's full of things that I find - if I let myself - infuriating. But it's no more critical of a particular type of atheist - the "savage" one, than it is of religious people of certain types - the "bleeding deacons", the "minister who sighs over the sins of the 20th century". What does AA teach me? That unhealthy emotional practices will always lead me to be unhealthy. And that stands whether someone is intolerant and atheistic, or intolerant and theistic - and I know plenty of both types inside and outside the fellowship. And of course I see the same traits in me. But thankfully I can see progress.

Nothing but a profound intervention by people who knew exactly what was wrong with me, coupled with an equally profound need on my part to save my own life could have saved me from alcoholism. I can still remember how bad I felt. Everything else is just so damned academic.