Old 08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cheekie

sounds familiar...

From my experience watching my husband, they get really agitated,depressed, jumpy, paranoid, constipated and a real pleasure to live with. They forget lots of things, become arguementative and convince themselves that they can do it on their own.Not much different from when they are using. The biggest "symptom" was that the self-talk of addiction is speaking louder than the TV, stereo, train, co-dependent, boss, wife, mother...It's possible that they will not hear anything else, so take care of yourself somewhere in there. When they come home in a great mood that is usually an indicator that the voice talked louder than anything that day. (From my experience)
I would recommend treatment of some sort if for no other reason than to get him into a safe place where he can fiend for it and get over it, while learning new skills to help him cope with the voice.

Generally speaking detoxing from most stimulants takes from about 2-4 days. The mental stuff lasts longer. You can try to piece together some answers by searching medical publications online and then drawing your own conclusions. [Ex.Cocaine binds D3-dopamine receptor sites (dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is sends messages of feeling good, movement etc.) it interferes with the re-uptake of dopamine and then the normal levels your brain produces (prolonged use-individual results vary) gets out of whack. Sometimes your body can re-grow new neural tissue, or rebalance it's chemistry-sometimes it can't.]

You can help, but you can't do it for him.
Cheekie